Since I’m a dog walker, people frequently ask me what dog I would choose if I were picking one. That’s a difficult question to answer because it really depends on what you want. While no breed is perfect, choosing a dog that will fit in with your lifestyle may take some thought and research. Do you want a high-energy dog that requires a daily workout or a lap dog that’s happy to have a 15-minute walk?
Once you’ve settled on a particular breed, talk to everyone you know with that dog. If you see one on the street, don’t be shy about asking its owner about the dog’s characteristics, health problems and quirks. We all have them.
One expert has classified dogs according to:
- sociability with family members, children and strangers
- energy level: how much exercise does the dog need
- emotional stability
- level of dominance over people or other dogs
- watch dog or guard dog qualities
- breed-specific health issues